Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Media Bias, cont.

"Bias" isn't quite the right word, but it's the one people recognize. Usually it's a collective worldview that is blind and deaf to some things and hypersensitive to others. But sometimes it does amount to a bias, and in an election year featuring a divisive war, that's the case. Of course, my saying that makes me an object of selective ridicule in my newsroom. What does it mean when one of the top editors of one of the top mainstream news magazines says it?

MR. THOMAS: There's one other base here, the media. Let's talk a little media bias here. The media, I think, wants Kerry to win and I think they're going to portray Kerry and Edwards I'm talking about the establishment media, not Fox. They're going to portray Kerry and Edwards as being young and dynamic and optimistic and there's going to be this glow about them, collective glow, the two of them, that's going to be worth maybe 15 points.

Evan Thomas, the Assistant Managing Editor of Newsweek, on "Inside Washington" over the weekend